Mental health nurses are those medical personnel who treat the patients suffering from varying degrees of mental disorders. As with other specialized fields in the medical care, mental health is an area of specialization. If as a person you feel that you can be of help to people suffering from mental disabilities, you can surely pursue a diploma, degree or a certification in psychiatric nursing. A course in this filed provides you ample training in various ways to handle the mental patients, assisting them and even counseling them.
Psychiatric nurse courses:
There are many courses for psychiatric nursing available in medical schools. You will have to get official approval in order to become a registered nurse in this particular field. Some medical schools also offer higher education in this field.
Two levels of education are available in this particular field:
Basic Level course:
At this level, a student learns about different ways to relate with the patients suffering from the mental disorders. Students get training in diagnosing the mental disabilities and different ways to take care of patients. Students are awarded diploma, certificate or degree on successful completion of the course.
Advanced Level course:
Students learn about the complexities of various mental disabilities and way to deal with such patients. They have options to opt for special courses that teach evaluation, diagnosis and ways to treat patients having mental disorders.
The psychiatric nurse also learns of ways to diagnose the causes of mental disabilities and they get training to deal with the families of patients. This education level provides masters degree in the psychiatric nursing.
Duties of a mental health nurse
As this is a vast field and has many areas of specialization, and mental health nurse should know of this aspect in detail. The mental health conditions in individuals vary from mild in some cases to highly complex in others.
Depending upon the area in which you have specialized, you will have to deal with every type of patient depending upon their condition.
A mental health nurse has following duties:
- Educating, informing and counseling the relatives and families about all the issues concerning mental health.
- The psychiatric nurse can be asked to work as a consultant in case any person is suffering from some sort of mental disorder.
- Ensuring some sort of treatment plan for the patient and following it up till successful completion.
- Managing the condition of patients till their complete recovery.
- Providing their assessment on all those who are suffering from various mental problems.
- Providing some emergency care and psychiatric services to patients.Read More